Tuesday, April 6, 2010


photo by Chris Crisman

FIVE GUYS SUCCESS STORY!
Congratulations Jerry!

When I met Jerry Murrell five years ago, he had about 30 open Five Guys Burgers & Fries locations. He told me about his five sons and how he liked to drive his corvette, and had me write some of their new locations press releases for Five Guys openings in new states. Jerry introduced me to his franchise sales guy, he was a handsome man with an incredibly large gold ring on his finger and I said "What kind of class ring is that?" He looked surprised and said, "it's a Super Bowl ring", and right then I knew I was clueless --it was Mark Moseley, the famous football player.

In the Washington Redskins' 27-17 victory in Super Bowl XVll over the Miami Dolphins, Moseley kicked two field goals and was successful on all three of his extra point attempts. During the folllowing season, he led the NFL in scoring with 161 points. Mark retired from football in 1986, and handles franchise sales for Five Guys and has five of his own kids too!

What I remember the most about Jerry Murrell is that he didn't believe in marketing. He said his ad fund fee required by franchisees to pay is only 1.5% and that goes to Secret Shoppers and bonus money is split between the crew of each location. I wondered if this strategy would last. Well, after 10 years, Jerry has proved it works! Congratulations to Jerry and the whole Five Guys team!

Please read his very candid interview in Inc. Magazine here:




No comments:

Post a Comment